1/4 cup cooking salt
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 red chilli
- Wash hands.
- Wash the cucumbers and slice them very thinly.
- Place a layer of cucumbers into a flat dish and sprinkle with some of the salt. Keep layering the cucumbers and salt until they are all in the dish.
- Cover the dish and put it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, pour the cucumbers into a colander and gently rinse them under running water. Leave to drain.
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar and mustard seeds in a pan. Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir to encourage the sugar to dissolve.
- Add the cucumbers to the pan. Bring the pot back to the boil and then remove from the heat.
- Spoon the cucumbers into sterilised jars and fill the jar with the liquid until it is 1 centimetre from the top. Add two or three strips of chilli.
- Seal the lid and store the cucumbers in the cupboard. They will be ready to eat in two weeks.
- Bread and Butter Cucumbers are delicious on fresh bread with butter and cheese. Once opened, store them in the fridge.
SMARTY TIP: Ask an adult to sterilise the jars but putting them in a hot oven for ten minutes or boiling them in a big pot of water. Wrap some ribbon around the jar and put on a decorative label to give the Bread and Butter Cucumbers as a gift.