1 sheet frozen puff pastry
20 cherry tomatoes
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup fresh basil, parsley or thyme
1 tbs dijon mustard
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Wash hands.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prepare a flat baking tray by lining it with baking paper. Place the sheet of pastry on this and let it sit for 20 minutes to thaw.
- Meanwhile, cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place them in a bowl. Finely chop the herbs and add them to the bowl along with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix.
- Combine the cheeses in a separate bowl.
- Use a pointy-tipped knife to score a straight line about 1cm in from each of the four edges (to ‘score’ means to only cut partly through the pastry). Then, use a fork to prick holes inside the square that you have just created. By doing this, the edge of the pastry will puff up but the inside will stay flat.
- Use the back of a spoon to spread the mustard inside the square that you have scored.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the mustard, staying inside the square.
- Arrange the tomatoes over the cheese making sure that the cut side is facing upwards; this will keep the juice in the tomatoes and stop the pastry going soggy.
- Bake the tart for 15 to 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Serve hot.
SMARTY TIP: Try this same recipe using a combination of asparagus and cherry tomatoes. For smaller tarts, cut the pastry sheet into 4 squares.