A mini hothouse is a great way to get your vegetable or flower seedlings off to a good start. They will stay nice and warm to help them germinate. When the seeds have sprouted and two healthy leaves have formed, remove the drink bottle to allow the seedling to grow larger and stronger. When the seedling is around 8cm tall, transplant it into the garden.
YOU WILL NEED:
2 Litre soft drink bottle & scissors
Premium potting mix
Seeds of your choice
- Using the scissors, very carefully cut the sloping neck off the plastic drink bottle.
- Fill the pot with potting mix.
- Gently push your finger into the soil and drop 4 or 5 seeds into the holes. Cover over with potting mix.
- Lightly water with a spray bottle.
- Turn the drink bottle upside down and place over the top of the pot.
- Stand your greenhouse in a warm area with bright light, but not in the full sun. Often a window sill is ideal.
- Water each day to stop from drying out.
TIP: You can make mini hothouses or cloche to use in the garden by just cutting the bottom off drink bottles and then putting them over the seedlings. Take off the lid so they don’t get too hot.