SAFETY IN THE KITCHEN
- ALWAYS ASK AN ADULT TO HELP WHEN COOKING! NEVER COOK ON YOUR OWN!
- Use safe cutting techniques when working with knives. Ask an adult to show you how.
- Turn the handles of saucepans to the back of the stove so that they won’t get knocked over as you work.
- Always turn off blenders and food processors before scraping the bowls or removing the blades.
- Use oven mitts when handling hot trays and pots.
- Never put metal in the microwave.
- Store meat and chicken in the fridge until just before it is to be cooked.
HYGIENE IN THE KITCHEN
- Wash your hands with soap before starting to cook and regularly whilst cooking.
- Tie long hair up before cooking.
- Never lick a spoon and then put it back into the food.
- Use one cutting board for raw meat and a different board for vegetables and cooked meat.
- Don’t sneeze and cough around food. Cover your mouth and nose and wash your hands immediately afterwards.
- Clean up as you go and make sure the dishes are done when you are finished.
Do you know any other safety tips that we should include? Tell us.