2 slices bread
- Wash hands.
- Put the eggs into a small saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Put the saucepan on the stove and bring the water to the boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Start the egg timer. Simmer the eggs for 3 minutes for soft-boiled, 4 minutes for the white to be set and the yolk creamy or 5 minutes for the egg to be hard-boiled.
- Whilst the eggs are cooking, toast the bread.
- Butter the toast, remove the crusts and cut them into long fingers; these are called soldiers.
- Use a spoon to lift the eggs out of the water and put into egg cups.
- Use a teaspoon to tap the side of the egg to break the shell then use a knife to cut off the top.
- Serve the soldiers on the side of the plate. They make delicious dippers.
SMARTY TIP: Ask an adult for help when boiling the eggs.