125g butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
3/4 cup milk
- Wash hands.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Prepare a cake tin by greasing it with butter and then lining it with baking paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter, sugar and vanilla and beat them together for about 5 minutes until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat for a couple of minutes in between. Remove the bowl from the electric mixer.
- Sift both the flours into the bowl and add the milk. Use a large spoon to fold the mixture together. Pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Peel and core the apples then slice them thinly.
- Arrange the apples in circles around the top of the cake mixture.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until it is cooked. Check it by inserting a knife and if it comes out clean, it is cooked.
- Remove the tin from the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before removing the cake from it. Cool the cake on a wire rack. Serve warm or cold.