Make a family of pikelets for your own family or friends. If you’re really clever you can even make the pikelets look just like them. What a great idea for a fun afternoon tea!
1 cup self-raising flour
1 tbs caster sugar
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and the sugar.
- Add the milk and egg and then whisk until it is a smooth batter.
- Place a heavy based, non-stick frypan over medium heat.
- Use a small icecream scoop to drop spoonfuls of batter into the pan. In just a few minutes, small bubbles will form evenly over the top and this is the sign that they are ready to turn over.
- Flip the pikelets and cook the other side for two minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Serve warm with butter and jam or decorate with icing, Smarties and sprinkles.
To make icing:
Place 1 cup of sifted icing sugar into a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of butter then pour in just 1tbs of warm water. Stir well until the butter starts to melt. Keep adding warm water 1 tablespoon at a time until the icing forms but is still stiff enough to hold its shape. Use fairly quickly as it will start to set in just a few minutes.