500g beef mince, lean
1 brown onion, grated
1 cloves garlic
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
Salt and pepper
4 hamburger buns
4 slices cheese
- Wash hands.
- To make the meat patties, combine the mince, onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, breadcrumbs and egg in a bowl. Use your hands to thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
- Divide the mince mixture into 4 portions then use your hands to shape them into patties that are about 10cm in diameter and 1.5cm thick.
- Place the patties on a plate, cover with plastic and place them in the fridge for 30 minutes. This will help them hold together when cooking.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the lettuce and slice the tomatoes. Cut the buns in half.
- Use a barbecue or an oiled frypan to cook the patties for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer them onto a plate and keep them warm.
- If using a barbecue, put the buns on the grill, cut side down until they are just toasted. If not, warm the buns in the oven.
- To prepare the burger, butter the buns and put the bottom bun onto a plate.
- Place the beef patty onto the bun and then the slice of cheese. Top each with the sliced tomato and lettuce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the tomato sauce onto the top bun and place this on top.
- Serve immediately.
SMARTY TIP: Try different flavour sauces or mayonnaise. Beetroot would also be delicious on this burger.